Meditation in your classroom

Meditation, not always something most people think of doing in their classroom. A lot of people that I have met and discussed it with have replied with “When would we find time do that!” or “But I don’t know how to run it or have the music!” My response to that is….

SO WHAT!

In my classroom the meditation takes five minutes to do after lunch. We don’t use any music, we don’t lie down and I haven’t ever been taught how to take it before.

The way that I have run the meditation is pretty simple really, the children all get a chair and sit facing me somewhere in the room. We get them to close their eyes and focus on their breathing. Once they are settled you get them to try to focus in on each part of their body; feeling it’s weight and noticing that it is there. Once they have done this you ask them to try to focus their hearing inside and then outside the classroom.

For something that only takes 5 minutes to do after lunch when they usually come back rowdy it is produced amazing results in the afternoon sessions.

Give it a shot and let us know how it goes.

Splat Out!